Sr. Technician - Defense
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
About the position:
We are looking for a Sr. Technician to support the Defense R&D group in East Greenwich, RI. This position will report to an R&D Engineer or Manager and will be involved with all aspects of a cell development laboratory, including electrode processing and evaluation equipment, cell assembly and testing equipment, writing of preliminary procedures, as well as general battery laboratory activities like adhesion and pull testing, metallographic assessment of weld joints, cell failure analysis, etc. The individual will be expected to deliver the highest quality output while working in accordance with company policies and procedures. The position requires excellent hands-on skills, proper handling of chemicals, as well as attention to detail, especially experience working with small parts.
- Adhere to safety and quality requirements including but not limited to: Quality Management Systems, Environmental Management Systems, U.S. FDA regulations, Company polices and operating procedures, and other regulatory requirements.
- Under the guidance of scientists and engineers, develop, evaluate and optimize battery electrodes for prototype cells.
- Assemble batteries for evaluation using both manual methods and a variety of equipment like blanking presses, specialized battery assembly machines, resistance and laser welders, electrolyte filling machines, etc.
- Perform quality checks during and after assembly using a variety of tools and testing equipment such as digital gages, voltmeters, leak detectors and battery test equipment.
- Follow operating instructions and produce prototype batteries to meet product requirements.
- Setup equipment, create test protocols and run tests on cells to evaluate performance as directed.
- Work with Engineers to design/build test fixtures as needed.
- Perform non-destructive and destructive failure analysis on batteries and cells in a chemical lab.
- Write technical reports, work instructions, test protocols and other required documentation.
- Gather, analyze and plot data in Excel.
- Practice good housekeeping, maintain a clean, organized laboratory, maintain and calibrate equipment as needed.
- Interact and coordinate with other technicians/staff inside and outside the R&D group.
- Perform other functions as required.
To succeed in this position you will need:
- Associates degree in a technical field with 5+ years of relevant experience or a Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or chemical engineering
- A minimum of three years of laboratory experience in chemical/materials processing, ideally in an R&D laboratory environment
- Excellent computer skills in Windows OS and Microsoft Office applications
- Able to multi-task, managing multiple projects/tasks
- Strong hands-on skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task, managing multiple projects/tasks
- To be a self-starter and schedule-driven
- To demonstrate strong attention to detail through accuracy and completeness of information
- The ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Analytical Lab equipment experience is preferred
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have:
- Experience with battery materials and battery R&D.
About EaglePicher: EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States. Battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions. EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in Joplin, MO. and is ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
PERKS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
Some of the great things about being an EaglePicher employee include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance;
- 10 paid holidays and PTO;
- Matching 401K;
- Tuition reimbursement;
- Dependent scholarship programs.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.