Sr. Mechanical Engineer R&D
EaglePicher Technologies, based in Joplin, Missouri, is seeking a Sr. Mechanical Engineer to join our world class Research and Development Team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for taking a lead role in the planning and execution of battery development projects, including the development of battery build processes and accompanying documentation packages. Additionally, this position will play a key role in battery design optimization, and testing and evaluation of batteries to ensure products meet performance requirements. This position will also support development activities to improve assembly processes and reduce cost and lead time of batteries during the manufacturing process. This role also includes the development of product specifications, preparation of supporting documentation, tooling and product testing in a cross functional team environment. This individual will serve as the primarily point of contact with our customers on assigned projects.In the span of 169 years, EaglePicher Technologies has created, innovated, and customized solutions for a multitude of defense, aerospace, commercial, and medical customers. Our research and development capabilities are unsurpassed. With a team consisting of over 250 astute scientists and accomplished engineers, combined with our state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, EaglePicher is creating energy storage solutions to meet our customers' specific and specialized power needs.
- Execute battery development projects from the first concept prototype stage through further development, validation/qualification testing, and ending in a CDR and hand-off to Operations.
- Evaluate materials, build processes, battery design configurations, and other battery parameters with DOE methodology. Develop critical understanding of battery performance for a given application.
- Develop processes/tooling for pilot scale manufacturing.
- Coordinate and execute product development trials. Summarize and present respective results, with conclusion and recommendations.
- Interact with customers on a regular basis, including delivery of initial batteries to customer.
- Prepare build and process specifications, along with other engineering documents.
- Reduce cost of roduct and prepare cost estimates.
- Support all development phases including design refinement, validation, and pilot production.
- Develop a thorough understanding of batteries and the battery development cycle, including the design and development steps required by EP and Customers to bring a product to market, and then continue to manufacture and deliver hardware.
- Take an active, hands-on role in the development and production of lithium battery projects, delivering to milestones and performance objectives.
- Support projects through effective communication across multiple levels with both internal and external customers.
- Assimilate in EP’s standard systems and product development process, Plexus, scheduling, and problem solving.
- Take leadership in the planning, scheduling and execution of assigned projects to meet timelines for deliverables.
- Communicate effectively with groups and individuals (both internal and external) to accomplish project goals, while multi-tasking.
- Self-starting and schedule driven to provide a quality product, efficiently, and on-time.
- Manage direct reports in an efficient and constructive manner.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing / Engineering technology, or related discipline.
- 5-10 years’ experience in an R&D, or Product Development. An understanding of battery product design and processing is desired.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written.
- Able to contribute to collaborative team environment.
- Self-motivated and hands-on. Detail oriented and able to manage multiple tasks.
- 3D CAD modeling knowledge. Autodesk Inventor experience is a plus.
- Experience in FEA (ANSYS) and other numerical modeling methods will be helpful.
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Office applications (Project, Excel, Word Outlook).
- Knowledge of Minitab, SPC, and DOE methodology is desired.
About EaglePicher Technologies, LLC
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC, a VECTRA company, is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, grid energy storage, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States. Battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, nickel hydrogen, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions. EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in Joplin, Mo., and is ISO9001:2008 and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
EaglePicher offers competitive compensation and a generous benefit package that includes medical, dental, life insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, holidays, vacation, tuition reimbursement, and scholarship program.
EaglePicher is proud to be an EEO/AA employer (male, female, disabled and veterans). We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.