Sr. Design Engineer
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
At EaglePicher Technologies, LLC we are driving the electrification of defense, aviation and space. We provide the broadest number of battery systems available in the world for the most demanding applications. We provide leading edge products that make drones fly higher, undersea vessels run longer, and aircraft fly farther and operate more safely. Our battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions.
Our employees are passionate, dedicated and empowered to realize this vision. We strive for the right mix of people with diverse backgrounds personalities and perspectives, and to ensure this works, we create an inclusive work environment that places a premium on communication and collaboration. At EaglePicher, we’ll give you the opportunity to harness all that’s within you with access to the latest tools, information and training. EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in St. Louis, MO. with locations in Joplin, MO and East Greenwich, RI. We are ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
EaglePicher is seeking a Design Engineer to join the Research and Development team. The Design Engineer will collaborate with the R&D and engineering teams to design, develop, and qualify cells according to customer specifications and documentation requirements in line with project timing and budgets. The Design Engineer will work closely with R&D and Manufacturing Engineering, teams to execute and deliver existing and new products. With EaglePicher Technologies, you will join our Research and Development team as a key team member in hands-on design, prototyping and commercialization of Lithium-Ion cells and battery power systems used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. The successful applicant will be responsible for gathering drawings and specifications, calculating material and equipment requirements and developing component and systems manufacturing methods. Fluency with SolidWorks is required. If you have hands-on experience with computer-aided battery design software, such as Battery Design Studio (BDS) or COMSOL, and are familiar with cell/battery design processes, we’d like to meet you. Ultimately, you’ll help us build functional battery systems and secure well-designed products that support a production environment.
The role will support R&D cell and process design and development functions for East Greenwich’s R&D facility for development efforts. This position will be responsible for the effective use of the design tools to design, document and maintain configuration control for early development of R&D cell and battery systems for Defense applications. The position will work within a multidisciplinary team of Scientists and Engineers and will adhere to company policies and procedures.
This position will coordinate multiple functions to deliver these products to a wide variety of commercial and military customers strategically important to EaglePicher’s existing business portfolios and future growth. This position requires interaction with internal and external customers at all levels of system design/development, components, quality engineering. To apply you must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
The primary purpose of this position is for you to assume a role of Cell Design Engineer to support the design, development, and qualification of Lithium-ion batteries for EaglePicher defense, aerospace and commercial applications. You will be a key player in the product development team, working closely with our research, product engineering and quality staff to help drive and execute new projects to completion and support existing products. Experience with Solidworks, Battery Design Studio (BDS)or other CAD Software, Engineering Resource Planning (ERP) software, and Document Control systems will be required for this role.
- Support all development phases including design, design refinement, validation, and pilot production of Li-ion cells in various form factors (cylindrical, flat wound wrap and stacked prismatic)
- Work closely with the R&D teams to determine cell design and mechanical characteristics
- Work with production team to develop processes/tooling for prototyping and pilot scale manufacturing.
- Coordinate with EaglePicher supply chain to source and qualify cell packaging hardware and mechanical parts.
- Coordinate and execute product development trials. Summarize and present respective results, with conclusions, and recommendations.
- Develop assembly instructions and specifications, along with other engineering documents following EaglePicher’s product development process (PDP).
- Generate drawings, BOMs and follow EaglePicher’s Document Control methods
- Determine the best practices and most efficient method of achieving a consistent design/drawing package while maintaining configuration control.
- Perform tolerance stack-ups and while calculating dimensions, weight limitations and requirements in hardware and core chemistry.
- Work integrally with the electrical design, mechanical hardware and core chemistry to communicate technical ideas for accomplishing environmental testing involving vibration, shock, altitude, acceleration and temperature/humidity testing.
- Participate in the resolution of hardware problems or process non-compliances by working with supervisors of Quality, Engineering and Production.
To succeed in this position, you must:
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing / Engineering technology, or related discipline.
- 5-10 years experience in Rechargeable batteries R&D or Product Development.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written.
- Able to contribute to collaborative team environment.
- Self-motivated and hands-on. Detail oriented and able to manage multiple tasks.
- Fluency with 3D CAD modeling using SolidWorks.
- Experience in BDS (Simcenter) and other battery modeling methods will be helpful.
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Office applications (Project, Excel, Power Point, Word Outlook).
- This role may require additional duties and/or assignments as designated by management
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have:
- Defense or Aerospace industry experience and familiarity with ERP Systems and Document Control Systems
- ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100D certifications and stage gate development processes is highly desirable.
- Motivated, passionate, self-starter with a track record of delivering above and beyond expectations.
- A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed.
- Solid problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
- Proven ability to handle more than one project simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.
BENEFITS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
Some of the great things about being an EaglePicher employee include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance;
- 10 paid holidays and PTO;
- Matching 401K;
- Tuition reimbursement;
- Dependent scholarship programs.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.