Sr Chemical Process Engineer
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
At EaglePicher Technologies, LLC we are driving the electrification of defense, aviation and space. We provide the broadest number of battery systems available in the world for the most demanding applications. We provide leading edge products that make drones fly higher, undersea vessels run longer, and aircraft fly farther and operate more safely. Our battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions.
Our employees are passionate, dedicated and empowered to realize this vision. We strive for the right mix of people with diverse backgrounds personalities and perspectives, and to ensure this works, we create an inclusive work environment that places a premium on communication and collaboration. At EaglePicher, we’ll give you the opportunity to harness all that’s within you with access to the latest tools, information and training.
EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in St. Louis, MO. with locations in Joplin, MO and East Greenwich, RI. We are ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
As a Sr. Chemical Process Engineer with EaglePicher Technologies you will join our Research and Development team in hands on design, prototyping and commercialization of Lithium-Ion cells and battery power systems used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. A successful candidate will have a strong fundamental understanding of chemistry, engineering, and manufacturing processes. The Sr. Chemical Process Engineer will be able to lead and conduct development, implementation, and optimization of new technologies and products from early stage development through scale-up and production. The successful candidate will show the initiative to quickly learn the technology and manufacturing methods. The Sr. Chemical Process Engineer must be schedule-driven and be able to operate efficiently on their own in a dynamic environment to quickly resolve issues. This position will coordinate multiple functions to deliver these products to a wide variety of commercial and military customers such NASA, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Boeing General Electric and many others. This position requires interaction with internal and external customers at all levels of system design/development, components, quality engineering. To apply you must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
About the Position:
The primary purpose of this position is for you to assume the Sr. Chemical Process Engineer role to support the process design, development and qualification of Lithium-ion batteries for Eagle Picher Defense. You will be a key player in the process development team, working closely with our research, product engineering and quality staff to help drive and execute new projects to completion and support existing products.
The job will include the optimization of existing processes, development of new processes and the statistical tracking of the performance of both. A strong background in Statistical Process Control, including automated SPC methods, is strongly preferred.
Your core responsibilities will be to:
- Work within the R&D group and with the production group to bring new products into production. This will require the development of both chemical (e.g. mixing/coating) and mechanical (e.g. calendering/welding) process.
- Development process specifications and limits for existing and new processes.
- Lead, guide and mentor junior staff in order to improve EP’s processes and capabilities to become world class.
- Implement Statistical Process Control (SPC) tools and methods on existing new processes including automation integration.
- Provide technical expertise to solve production issues and lead the implementation of solutions.
- Work with Internal Supply Chain Management to identify raw material issues
- Lead operator and engineer training of the new processes and statistical methods.
- Prepare and conduct presentations documenting process development to peers, operators, and management
- Coordinate and execute engineering trials on new equipment and new materials; measure process parameters, develop methods and conduct quantitative process analysis
- Working with the design team to widen the process window and improve the product capability is expected
- 10% Maximum Travel is expected
To succeed in this position, you must:
- BS or MS in related engineering field (Chemical, Mechanical, Manufacturing) with 5+ experience
- S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder)
- Experience with process development and manufacturing scale-up
- Experience with SPC and lean manufacturing methods.
- Experience with ERP and Document Control Systems, including documentation of process development
- Good understanding of the interaction between chemistry, materials and processes and their impact on product performance and safety
- Strong problem solving and root cause analysis skills
- Experience in process design, development, optimization, and test methodologies
- Strong verbal, written & presentation communications skills
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have:
- Defense or Aerospace industry experience and familiarity with ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100D certifications and stage gate development processes is highly desirable.
- Motivated, passionate, self-starter with a track record of delivering above and In addition to meeting the basic requirements.
- Formal Training in SPC and Lean Manufacturing methods.
- A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed
- Solid problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
- Proven ability to handle more than one project simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal, communication, technical writing, and presentation skills.
BENEFITS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
Some of the great things about being an EaglePicher employee include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance;
- 10 paid holidays and PTO;
- Matching 401K;
- Tuition reimbursement;
- Dependent scholarship programs.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.