Senior R&D Embedded Engineer
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
Eagle Picher is looking for an experienced Embedded Software Engineer to join the Embedded Development team at our Burlingame Facility in Burlingame, CA! This is an opportunity to become a key contributor in cutting edge hybrid lithium ion battery systems that are being used to power the next generation of spacecraft, jets, and ships.
About the position:
Do you gravitate to a lead technical/project engineering role where you learn and understand the whole picture, then design systems from the ground up? You will work directly with customers, vendors, and other engineers as you create clean, elegant, reusable code in an environment built on continuous learning.
As a Sr. Embedded Software Engineer with Lithiumstart, a Division of EaglePicher, you will join our Research and Development team as a key contributor in hands on design and prototyping of lithium ion battery systems used for lasers, thrust vectoring, robotics, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, General Electric, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world. To apply you must have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience in embedded software for electro-mechanical systems and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
You will be responsible for the design of the battery management system firmware which monitors and protects the battery systems, and the application interfaces to vehicles, ships, aircraft, etc. leveraging busses like CAN, I2C, and SPI. Designs will typically require a high level of creativity and software design intuition. Your code might end up controlling a megawatt airborne laser at 60,000 ft. or a weather buoy in the middle of the Pacific Ocean where a manual power cycle may be weeks away. Your designs must maximize performance while ensuring the safety of surrounding systems and personnel. You will work directly with customers, vendors, and other engineers as you create clean, elegant, reusable code in an environment built on continuous learning and mentoring. Additionally, as leaders in our field we are ever advancing our research and design to make our products even more versatile, robust and state of the art.
Daily tasks will include requirements definition, new coding and refactoring, hardware/prototype bring up, verification testing, and development of automated test equipment.
To succeed in this position the candidate will have:
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechatronics, or equivalent.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Strong intuitive sense of fundamentals including algorithms, data structures, etc.
- Expertise in embedded C and robust state machines for real time applications.
- Proficiency at writing low level hardware drivers for UART, ADC, SPI, I2C, DMA, etc.
- Experience with Microchip PIC, Atmel AVR, STM32 ARM Cortex, or similar MCU's.
- Ability to create complex system state diagrams and read electrical schematics.
- Expertise in hands on board bring up, troubleshooting, and diagnostic tool usage.
- 5+ years industry experience including recent application of relevant skills.
Desired experience and skills:
- Interdisciplinary background particularly in mechanical and/or electrical engineering.
- Strong background in agile development practices.
- Familiarity with event driven frameworks, lightweight RTOS.
- Comfortable with other high level languages (Python, C#, Java, etc).
- Ability to create serial/USB debug interfaces using lightweight in-module test harnesses.
- Comfortable with C++ classes and simple porting of assembly code to C.
- Knowledge of workflows in distributed VCS (Git, Mercurial, etc).
- Ability to design bootloaders, SPI flash, SD, and lightweight file system storage.
- Experience with low power MCU’s.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have:
- Self-starter with a track record of delivering above and beyond expectations who can recognize when and where to get help as needed.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally as needed
PERKS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
- Our standard stack includes C on Microchip PIC32/MPLAB, Altium Designer, Solidworks, Python, Git, and Windows/Linux.
- Use the best design tools for work including custom workstations with triple monitor setups featuring 27” IPS LCD’s.
- Increase your knowledge with paid ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions.
- Flexible schedule
- Onsite meals, snacks, ping pong, and foosball
- Competitive benefits, matching 401k
- Tuition reimbursement
- Dependent scholarship programs
EaglePicher's R&D site in California provides agile, rapid prototyping and proven turnkey solutions for lithium ion battery management, pack integration, safety and power conversion technology. As a turnkey integrator, we source the best cells from around the world and package them in enclosures with our management electronics. No project is too small or too large — we build energy storage systems that range in size from two cells up to thousands of cells. EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, and oil & gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States.
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States. Battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions. EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in Joplin, MO. and is ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.