Senior Electonics Engineer
- Job ID
- # of Openings
As a Senior Electronics Engineer with EaglePicher Technologies in our East Greenwich, Rhode Island facility, you will join our Research and Development team as a key contributor in hands on design and prototyping of Lithium-Ion battery power systems used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. You will perform a diverse mix of hardware, firmware and software tasks related to the design, development, test, qualification and production support of electronic assemblies used to manage the charge and discharge of Lithium-Ion Batteries. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world. To apply you must have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Engineering or equivalent related experience and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
The core responsibilities of this postion are:
You will be responsible for the design of power electronics and battery management systems. Designs will typically require a high level of creativity and intuition. Your designs must maximize performance while ensuring the safety of surrounding systems and personnel.
- Understand a set of customer requirements and recommend how those requirements shall be translated into a battery electronics system that meets the customer requirement. This applies to new project initiatives as well as modifications to existing legacy systems.
- Perform analog and digital hardware design and design analysis tasks for:
- Analog signal conditioning and A/D conversion of various physical parameters such as DC Voltage, Current, Temperature and Time.
- Various DC-DC converter topologies for use in battery charging applications.
- Control of high current conduction paths from tens to hundreds of amperes for both battery charge and battery discharge.
- Parts selection, screening and cost estimation in a military / aerospace environment where stringent DSCC Military & Space rated component standards are a requirement.
- Develop structured firmware/software in a style that is well documented, readily supportable and complies with Military software safety standards.
- Analyze existing code and reverse engineer previously written firmware.
- Provide behavioral and performance documentation based on existing firmware.
- Recommend and implement firmware changes and firmware qualification testing to correct behavioral or performance deficiencies in existing firmware.
- Design and implement firmware changes required to implement new features and capabilities in existing battery management systems.
- Maintain code release and all types of code documentation.
- Develop bench and automated test fixtures for use during development and production test of battery management electronics.
- Run simulations using LTSPICE and MATLAB
- Make design decisions on power capability, semiconductor selection, safety, reliability, regulatory compliance, manufacturability, etc.
- Design control architectures and implement them in hardware and firmware
- Provide technical leadership while communicating effectively in a dynamic multi-disciplinary team environment
- Plan and conduct engineering tests
To succeed in this position the candidate will have:
- BS or MS Electrical Engineering Degree with a technical background (in complex system based products)
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident required due to contractual requirements
- Experience designing high power (kW and above), high-voltage (>100V) DC/DC power conversion
- Understanding of power and mechanical design tradeoffs between high-voltage, power, weight, space, environmental, safety, thermal, etc.
- Experience in A/D conversion in relation to voltage and temperature monitoring for battery management systems.
- Demonstrable skills in reading and understanding firmware written in C for various types of micro-controllers while using an Integrated Development Environment.
- Demonstrable ability and experience with analyzing and debugging systems involving hardware and firmware interactions.
- Experience with control systems, analog compensation, PID, digital control implemented in firmware or VHDL, etc. used in power supply circuitry
- Strong experience in complex system integrations
- Experience dealing with revisions to requirements and schedule in a dynamic environment
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States. Battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions. EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in Joplin, MO. and is ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
PERKS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
Some of the great things about being an EaglePicher employee include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance;
- 10 paid holidays and PTO;
- Matching 401K;
- Tuition reimbursement;
- Dependent scholarship programs.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.