Process Engineer, Mechanical
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
Eagle Picher is looking for a hands-on, experienced Mechanical process engineer to join the Medical Product Development team at our Yardney Facility in East Greenwich, RI! This is an opportunity to become a key contributor in the early development of component sub-assembly and cell assembly processes with a focus on DFM and scale-up related to state-of-the-art primary and secondary lithium battery development to meet the challenging requirements of our medical customers.
About the Position:
The primary purpose of this position is to develop, improve and help scale-up the processes necessary to assemble primary and secondary cells. You will be responsible for the development of tooling and fixtures for prototype cells and assist with the qualification of new designs and processes. You will be a key contributor in the product development team, working closely with our R&D scientists and engineers as well as our manufacturing engineers to drive new projects to completion. If you are innovative, self-motivated, engaged, enjoy challenging projects and like working collaboratively with others to deliver superior products, this is the opportunity for you.
Your core responsibilities will be to:
- Develop and drive to completion, assembly processes for individual components, sub-assemblies and the entire cell for new and existing products. This includes novel metal joining, efficient small parts assembly as well as fixtures, tooling and selected small scale automation as appropriate to meet performance, timeline and cost targets
- Develop fixtures, tooling, mock-ups as well as lab scale equipment/processes for high quality prototypes using approaches that will produce high yield product when transitioned to production
- Improve existing processes and equipment, trouble-shoot and problem-solve as needed. Work closely with scientists and engineers to evaluate and identify areas for improvement from a process, complexity or cost perspective
- Be accountable for ensuring manufacturability and scale-up of the Development processes, working closely with manufacturing engineers as well as external partners/suppliers for the best possible solutions to meet project needs
- Manage the prototype laboratory, guide and teach junior staff/technicians on cell assembly
- Be up-to-date with the state of the art for manual or semi-automated assembly of small battery electrodes (winding, stacking, sealing) and related processes to help raise the bar internally to be the best at what we do at a competitive price for our customers
To succeed in this position the candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Technology with at least 5-7 years of experience developing primary or rechargeable batteries in an industrial/commercial environment. Alternatively, a Master’s degree in the above fields with a minimum of 3 years of relevant industrial experience in batteries.
- Significant experience in an R&D, Product Development and/or Process Development environment developing and manufacturing batteries for external customers
- Solid experience with cell assembly processes like winding, stacking, laser welding, crimping, etc.
- Good documentation skills and experience writing high quality operating procedures
- Good understanding of the interaction between chemistry, materials and processes and their impact on product performance and safety
- Demonstrated problem-solving, statistical analysis and data based decision making skills
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships across an organization and work collaboratively for the success of the business
- US. Citizenship or Permanent Residency
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have:
- Self-starter with a track record of delivering above and beyond expectations who can recognize when and where to get help as needed.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Training, experience and capability in statistical process control, analysis
- Medical device industry experience and familiarity with ISO 13485 and process validations is a plus
- A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed
- Willingness and ability to travel at least 20% of the time as needed
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States. Battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions. EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in Joplin, MO. and is ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
PERKS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
Some of the great things about being an EaglePicher employee include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance;
- 10 paid holidays and PTO;
- Matching 401K;
- Tuition reimbursement;
- Dependent scholarship programs.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Job Reference #: 1381