Principal Embedded Software Engineer
Are you passionate about your work and want to make a hands on difference? Come build cutting edge hybrid lithium ion battery systems that are being used to power the next generation of spacecraft, jets, and ships; WE ARE GROWING. To apply you must have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience in electro-mechanical systems and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a Principal Embedded Software Engineer with Lithiumstart, a Division of EaglePicher, you will join our Research and Development team as a key contributor in hands on design and prototyping of lithium ion battery systems used for lasers, thrust vectoring, robotics, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, General Electric, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world.
Do you gravitate to a lead technical/project engineering role where you learn and understand the whole picture, then design systems from the ground up? You will work directly with customers, vendors, and other engineers as you create clean, elegant, reusable code in an environment built on continuous learning and mentoring.
You will be responsible for the design of the battery management system firmware which monitors and protects the battery systems, and the application interfaces to vehicles, ships, aircraft, etc. leveraging busses like CAN, SMBus, and Profinet. Designs will typically require a high level of creativity and software design intuition. Your code might end up controlling a megawatt airborne laser at 60,000 ft. or a weather buoy in the middle of the Pacific Ocean where a manual power cycle may be weeks away. Your designs must maximize performance while ensuring the safety of surrounding systems and personnel.
Daily tasks will include requirements definition, new coding and refactoring, hardware/prototype bring up, verification testing, and development of automated test equipment.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechatronics, or equivalent.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder
- Strong intuitive sense of fundamentals including algorithms, data structures, etc.
- Expertise in embedded C and robust state machines for real time applications.
- Proficiency at writing low level hardware drivers for UART, ADC, SPI, I2C, DMA, etc.
- Experience with Microchip PIC, Atmel AVR, STM32 ARM Cortex, or similar MCU's.
- Ability to create complex system state diagrams and read electrical schematics.
- Expertise in hands on board bring up, troubleshooting, and diagnostic tool usage.
- 7+ years industry experience including recent application of relevant skills.
- For recent grads applying for a junior position, "exceptional background" means you were a school engineering team or club leader, entered engineering competitions, published papers or patents, held a university Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant position, had multiple internships and/or projects with hands on experience relevant to this job, or likely a combination of the above. Please provide details and include a project portfolio link or document when you apply.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Interdisciplinary background particularly in mechanical and/or electrical engineering.
- Strong background in agile development practices.
- Familiarity with event driven frameworks, lightweight RTOS.
- Comfortable with higher level languages (Python, C#, Java, etc).
- Ability to create serial/USB debug interfaces using lightweight in-module test harnesses.
- Comfortable with C++ classes and simple porting of assembly code to C.
- Knowledge of workflows in distributed VCS (Git, Mercurial, etc).
- Ability to design bootloaders, SPI flash, SD, and lightweight file system storage.
- Experience with low power MCU’s.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PERKS
- Our standard stack includes C on Microchip PIC32/MPLAB, Altium Designer, Solidworks, Python, Git, and Windows/Linux.
- Use the best design tools for work including custom workstations with triple monitor setups featuring 27" IPS LCD’s.
- Have a work life balance with flexible schedules for family and other needs.
- Increase your knowledge with paid ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions.
- Enjoy an onsite snack fountain, ping pong, foosball, basketball, electric skateboards, etc.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance.
- 10 paid holidays and 3 weeks of PTO
- Matching 401K
- Tuition reimbursement
- Dependent scholarship programs
IS IT A FIT?
Quickly apply by sending us your resume or LinkedIn profile using the apply/submit link on this page.
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States.
EaglePicher Lithiumstart, located in the San Francisco Bay Area, provides agile rapid prototyping and proven turnkey solutions for lithium ion battery management, pack integration, safety and power conversion technology. Lithiumstart serves as EaglePicher’s R&D Electronics Center of Excellence (COE), and its highly complementary technologies are used across EaglePicher's broad suite of existing products, providing additional capabilities and customer value add. As a turnkey integrator, we source the best cells from around the world and package them in enclosures with management electronics. No project is too small or too large for Lithiumstart - we build energy storage systems that range in size from two cells up to tens of thousands of cells.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.