Power Engineer, R&D
Are you passionate about your work and want to make a hands on difference? Come build cutting edge hybrid lithium ion battery systems that are being used to power the next generation of spacecraft, jets, and ships; WE ARE GROWING. To apply you must have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Engineering or equivalent related experience in power engineering and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a Power Engineer with Lithiumstart, a Division of EaglePicher, you will join our Research and Development team as a key contributor in hands on design and prototyping of lithium ion battery systems used for lasers, thrust vectoring, robotics, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, General Electric, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world.
Do you gravitate to a lead technical/project engineering role where you learn and understand the whole picture, and design systems from the ground up? You will work directly with customers, vendors, and other engineers as you create clean, elegant, reusable designs in an environment built on continuous learning and mentoring.
You will be responsible for the design of the power electronics and battery management systems. Designs will typically require a high level of creativity and design intuition. Your designs must maximize performance while ensuring the safety of surrounding systems and personnel.
- Design and manufacture multi-kilowatt high-voltage power supplies used in pulsed-power battery applications.
- Develop new power architecture to meet requirements for power density, efficiency, thermal performance, etc.
- Develop BMS algorithms to control output with high fidelity and accuracy.
- Run circuit simulations, PCB design and layout, and conduct engineering tests.
- Proactively develop and track requirements/schedule and provide regular updates.
- Drive risk management of power supplies (FMEA, hazard analysis, mfg, supply-chain).
- Provide technical leadership while communicating/mentoring effectively in a dynamic multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Make and own design decisions on power capability, semiconductor selection, safety, reliability, regulatory compliance, manufacturability, etc.
- Perform root-cause analysis on all power systems.
- Develop validation/verification plans and acceptance testing protocols for power supplies.
- Test power supplies for EMC, stability, life, environmental effects, stress, etc.
- Integrate power supply design with mechanical, software, and battery engineers.
- Generate and release documents for designs, assembly, acceptance-testing, manufacturing etc.
- Assist other electrical engineers in designs and testing of analog and digital circuits.
- Perform failure analysis on new and returned systems from the field.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Highly experienced in design of AC/DC and DC/DC converter topologies that includes flyback, buck, boost, buck-boost, half- and full-bridge, ZVS, multi-phased, etc.
- 5-10 years of 1kW to 10kW high-voltage (400V-1kV) DC/DC power conversion experience.
- Assumed role of subject matter expert on tradeoffs of power MOSFET, IGBTs, SCRs, diodes and semiconductor technologies including GaN and SiC.
- Experience dealing with revisions to requirements and schedule in a dynamic environment.
- Designed high-reliably power supplies from the ground-up used in demanding applications.
- Extensive implementation experience of thermal management for high-power semiconductors.
- Great understanding of power and mechanical design tradeoffs between high-voltage, power, weight, space, environmental, safety, thermal, etc.
- Testing experience of control systems, PID, etc. used on power supplies.
- Strong experience in complex system integrations.
- Experience working with CAN, RS232, RS485, Ethernet bus communication and I2C, SPI, UART embedded protocols.
- Good understanding of testing EMI and mitigation techniques for EMC.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Worked in AS-9100, ISO-9001, DoD, MIL-STD related regulatory environments.
- Implementing MCU and/or FPGA firmware for power applications a plus.
- Startup experience is helpful.
- Hands-on, cable assembly, wiring crimping, machine shop experience a big plus.
- Experience designing high-power, high-voltage BMS chargers highly desirable.
- Understanding of different battery cell electrochemistry and cell balancing electronics a big plus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PERKS
- Use the best design tools for work including custom workstations with triple monitor setups featuring 27" IPS LCD’s.
- Have a work life balance with flexible schedules for family and other needs.
- Increase your knowledge with paid ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions.
- Enjoy an onsite snack fountain, ping pong, foosball, basketball, electric skateboards, etc.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance.
- 10 paid holidays and 3 weeks of PTO
- Matching 401K
- Tuition reimbursement
- Dependent scholarship programs
IS IT A FIT?
Quickly apply by sending us your resume or LinkedIn profile using the apply/submit link on this page.
Lithiumstart, located in the San Francisco Bay Area, is a division of EaglePicher Technologies LLC. EaglePicher Technologies is a leading producer of batteries and has been serving mission critical aerospace, defense, and medical battery markets for over 75 years. EaglePicher's batteries are a key enabler of the US space program, including providing the emergency power that successfully brought the Apollo 13 crew home. Today EaglePicher batteries power the International Space Station, Mars Rovers, commercial jets, helicopters, and lifesaving medical implants. Based in San Francisco, Lithiumstart was acquired by EaglePicher in February 2017 and serves as the company’s rapid prototyping R&D center with specialties in embedded software, electronics, and robotics.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.