Staff Mechanical Systems Engineer
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC, is searching for a Staff Mechanical Systems Engineer to join the R&D team at our Northern California Facility. As a hands-on individual contributor that thrives in an agile design and rapid prototype environment, you are a key contributor in the design and prototyping of mission critical lithium ion battery systems and power products used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world. To apply you must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent experience in engineering of electromechanical systems and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
Your core responsibilities will be focused on detailed mechanical designs around battery modules/packs and electronics packaging for power electronics (chargers and DC/DC converters). Applications are varied and include ground, vehicle, aerospace and space environments. Key focus areas will include overall mechanical system optimization for size and weight, shock/vibe/thermal analysis, CAD modeling (in Solidworks), drawings, and GD&T. Other key contributions will include prototyping support of initial units, tooling/jig design, the opportunity to be hands on using mills, laser cutters and other power tools to support early prototyping efforts, and mentoring/reviewing work of more junior Mechanical Engineers.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent
- 8+ years industry experienced with recent application of relevant skills in the past year
- Demonstrated experience as lead designer of several parts and/or systems, which have demanding structural, thermal and/or environmental demands
- 3D CAD modeling, drawing creation (in Solidworks); GD&T proficiency
- Experience working to detailed system requirements documents and ensuring traceability of design features to requirements
- Knowledgeable in parts fabrication/assembly, particularly machining, metal forming and general assembly methods; and apply DfM into your product design
- Ability to run fast turn DoEs to validate fundamental design concepts, material selection and sub system functionality
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical, numerical and reasoning skills.
- Solid problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
- Proven ability to handle more than one project simultaneously
- Basic electrical fundamentals and wiring
- Ability to balance design rigor with schedule constraints, practical limitations and optimizations
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Heavily experienced in mechanical integration with power or battery highly desired
- Experience designing cold plates, sealed enclosures, battery modules or harsh environment electronics enclosures highly preferred
- Experience designing electro-mechanical assemblies for aerospace or space application
- Hands-on prototyping and fabrication experience (Mill, power tools, soldering, crimping, etc.)
- High voltage/high power testing and safety
- Developing processes/tooling for pilot scale manufacturing
- Interdisciplinary background, familiar with basic software and electrical engineering concepts
- Thermal analysis and fluid dynamics, particularly for heat exchangers
- MS Mechanical Engineering or equivalent preferred
- DoD, ITAR, NIST experienced
ENVIRONMENT AND BENEFITS
- Ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions
- Onsite lunch, snacks, ping pong, and foosball
- Competitive benefits, matching 401k and Tuition reimbursement
EaglePicher's R&D Electronics Center of Excellence provides agile rapid prototyping and proven turnkey solutions for lithium ion battery management, pack integration, safety and power conversion technology. As a turnkey integrator, we source the best cells from around the world and package them in enclosures with our management electronics. No project is too small or too large — we build energy storage systems that range in size from two cells up to tens of thousands of cells. EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.