Staff Embedded Engineer
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
Are you passionate about your work and want to make a hands on difference? Come build cutting edge hybrid lithium ion battery systems that are being used to power the next generation of spacecraft, jets, and ships; WE ARE GROWING. To apply you must have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience in electro-mechanical systems and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
As an Embedded Software Engineer with Lithiumstart, a Division of EaglePicher, you will join our Research and Development team as a key contributor in hands on design and prototyping of lithium ion battery systems used for lasers, thrust vectoring, robotics, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, General Electric, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world.
Do you gravitate to a lead technical/project engineering role where you learn and understand the whole picture, then design systems from the ground up? You will work directly with customers, vendors, and other engineers as you create clean, elegant, reusable code in an environment built on continuous learning and mentoring.
You will be responsible for the design of the battery management system firmware which monitors and protects the battery systems, and the application interfaces to vehicles, ships, aircraft, etc. leveraging busses like CAN, SMBus, and Profinet. Designs will typically require a high level of creativity and software design intuition. Your code might end up controlling a megawatt airborne laser at 60,000 ft. or a weather buoy in the middle of the Pacific Ocean where a manual power cycle may be weeks away. Your designs must maximize performance while ensuring the safety of surrounding systems and personnel.
Daily tasks will include requirements definition, new coding and refactoring, hardware/prototype bring up, verification testing, and development of automated test equipment.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechatronics, or equivalent.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Strong intuitive sense of fundamentals including algorithms, data structures, etc.
- Expertise in embedded C and robust state machines for real time applications.
- Proficiency at writing low level hardware drivers for UART, ADC, SPI, I2C, DMA, etc.
- Experience with Microchip PIC, Atmel AVR, STM32 ARM Cortex, or similar MCU's.
- Ability to create complex system state diagrams and read electrical schematics.
- Expertise in hands on board bring up, troubleshooting, and diagnostic tool usage.
- 5+ years industry experience for the senior position including recent application of relevant skills.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Interdisciplinary background particularly in mechanical and/or electrical engineering.
- Strong background in agile development practices.
- Familiarity with event driven frameworks, lightweight RTOS.
- Comfortable with other high level languages (Python, C#, Java, etc).
- Ability to create serial/USB debug interfaces using lightweight in-module test harnesses.
- Comfortable with C++ classes and simple porting of assembly code to C.
- Knowledge of workflows in distributed VCS (Git, Mercurial, etc).
- Ability to design bootloaders, SPI flash, SD, and lightweight file system storage.
- Experience with low power MCU’s.
- Experience with DO-178
ENVIRONMENT AND BENEFITS
- Our standard stack includes C on Microchip PIC32/MPLAB, Altium Designer, Solidworks, Python, Git, and Windows/Linux.
- Use the best design tools for work including custom workstations with triple monitor setups featuring 27” IPS LCD’s.
- Increase your knowledge with paid ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions.
- Flexible schedule
- Ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions
- Onsite meals, snacks, ping pong, and foosball
- Competitive benefits, matching 401k and Tuition reimbursement