Sr Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
At EaglePicher Technologies, LLC we are driving the electrification of defense, aviation and space. We provide the broadest number of battery systems available in the world for the most demanding applications. We provide leading edge products that make drones fly higher, undersea vessels run longer, and aircraft fly farther and operate more safely. Our battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions.
Our employees are passionate, dedicated and empowered to realize this vision. We strive for the right mix of people with diverse backgrounds personalities and perspectives, and to ensure this works, we create an inclusive work environment that places a premium on communication and collaboration. At EaglePicher, we’ll give you the opportunity to harness all that’s within you with access to the latest tools, information and training.
EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in St. Louis, MO. with locations in Joplin, MO and East Greenwich, RI. We are ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
EaglePicher is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineering Technician to join the Research and Development team. The Senior Mechanical Engineering Technician will collaborate with the R&D and engineering teams to perform supportive tasks related to the design, develop, and qualification of cells and battery packs according to customer specifications. The Senior Mechanical Engineering Technician will work closely with R&D and Manufacturing Engineering teams to execute and deliver existing and new products. With EaglePicher Technologies you will join our Research and Development team as a key team member in hands-on design, prototyping and commercialization of Lithium-Ion cells and battery power systems used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. The successful applicant will be responsible for supporting the Mechanical Engineering team, gathering drawings and specifications, calculating material and equipment requirements, optimizing new production methods, and setting up component and systems manufacturing methods. This role will require versatility and adaptability in the fast-paced R&D environment. If you have hands-on experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software and are familiar with building processes, we’d like to meet you. Ultimately, you’ll help us build functional battery systems and secure well-designed products that support a production environment.
The role will support R&D design and development functions for East Greenwich’s R&D facility for development efforts. This position will be responsible for the effective use the design tools to design, document and maintain configuration control for early development of R&D battery systems for Defense applications. The position will work within a multidisciplinary team of Scientists and Engineers and will adhere to company policies and procedures.
This position will coordinate multiple functions to deliver these products to a wide variety of commercial and military customers such NASA, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Boeing General Electric and many others. This position requires interaction with internal and external customers at all levels of system design/development, components, quality engineering. To apply you must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
About the Position:
The primary purpose of this position is for you to assume a role of Senior Mechanical Engineering Technician to support the Mechanical Engineering team for the design, development, and qualification of Lithium-ion batteries for EaglePicher defense applications. You will be a key player in the early stages of the development team, working closely with our research, product engineering and quality staff to help drive and execute new projects to completion and support existing products. A focus of this role will be on optimizing new production methods. Experience with Solidworks or other CAD Software, Engineering Resource Planning (ERP) software, and Document Control systems would be assets for this role.
The core responsibilities of this position:
- Support all development phases including design, design refinement, validation, and pilot production of mechanical parts
- Work closely with the R&D teams to determine battery design and mechanical characteristics
- Work with production team to develop processes/tooling for pilot scale manufacturing and optimizing new production methods
- Coordinate and execute product development trials. Summarize and present respective results, with conclusions, and recommendations.
- Develop assembly instructions and specifications, along with other engineering documents.
- Generate drawings, BOMs and follow EaglePicher’s Document Control methods
- Determine the best practices and most efficient method of achieving a consistent design/drawing package while maintaining configuration control.
- Perform tolerance stack-ups and while calculating dimensions, weight limitations and requirements in materials.
- Work integrally with both the electrical design and mechanical hardware to communicate technical ideas for accomplishing environmental testing involving vibration, shock, altitude, acceleration and temperature/humidity testing.
- Participate in the resolution of hardware problems or process non-compliances working with supervisors of Quality, Engineering and Production.
To succeed in this position, you must:
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Associates or Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing / Engineering technology, or related discipline.
- 3-5 years experience in R&D, Manufacturing, or Product Development.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written.
- Able to contribute to collaborative team environment.
- Self-motivated and hands-on. Detail oriented and able to manage multiple tasks.
- Fluency with 3D CAD modeling using SolidWorks.
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Office applications (Project, Excel, Word Outlook).
- This role may require additional duties and/or assignments as designated by management
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have:
- Defense or Aerospace industry experience and familiarity with Engineering Resource Planning (ERP) Systems and Document Control Systems
- ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100D certifications and stage gate development processes is highly desirable.
- Motivated, passionate, self-starter with a track record of delivering above and beyond expectations.
- A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed
- Solid problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
- Proven ability to handle more than one project simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.
BENEFITS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
Some of the great things about being an EaglePicher employee include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance;
- 10 paid holidays and PTO;
- Matching 401K;
- Tuition reimbursement;
- Dependent scholarship programs.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class