Senior Mechanical Prototype Engineer
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
EaglePicher is looking for a Senior Mechanical Prototype Engineer to join the R&D team at our Northern California Facility in Burlingame. This is an opportunity to become a key contributor in cutting edge hybrid lithium ion battery systems that are being used to power the next generation of spacecraft, aircraft, and ships.
About the position:
As a hands-on individual contributor that thrives in an agile design and rapid prototype environment, you are a key contributor in the design and prototyping of mission critical lithium ion battery systems and power products used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, General Electric, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world. To apply you must have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience in embedded software for electro-mechanical systems and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
Your core responsibilities will be focused on mechanical designs and hands-on prototype build of battery modules/packs and electronics packaging for power electronics (chargers and DC/DC converters). Applications are varied and include ground, vehicle, aerospace and space environments. Key focus areas will include overall mechanical system optimization for size and weight, shock/vibe/thermal analysis, CAD modeling (in Solidworks), drawings, and GD&T. Other key contributions will include prototyping of initial units, tooling/jig design and build, the opportunity to be hands on using mills, laser cutters and other power tools in early prototyping efforts.
To succeed in this position the candidate will have:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent
- 8+ years industry experienced with recent application of relevant skills in the past year
- Demonstrated experience as lead designer of several parts and/or systems, which have demanding structural, thermal and/or environmental demands
- 3D CAD modeling, drawing creation (in Solidworks); GD&T proficiency
- Demonstrated hands-on proficiency with shop tools for prototype build
- Hands-on electromechanical prototyping and fabrication experience (Mill, power tools, soldering, crimping, etc.)
- High voltage/high power testing and safety
- Experience working to detailed system requirements documents and ensuring traceability of design features to requirements
- Knowledgeable in parts fabrication/assembly, particularly machining, metal forming and general assembly methods; and apply DFMA into your product design
- Ability to run fast turn DoEs to validate fundamental design concepts, material selection and sub system functionality
- Strong analytical, numerical and reasoning skills.
- Basic electrical fundamentals and wiring
- Ability to balance design rigor with schedule constraints, practical limitations and optimizations
Desired experience and skills:
- Heavily experienced in mechanical integration with power or battery highly desired
- Experience designing cold plates, sealed enclosures, battery modules or harsh environment electronics enclosures highly preferred
- Experience designing electro-mechanical assemblies for aerospace or space application
- Developing processes/tooling for pilot scale manufacturing
- Interdisciplinary background, familiar with basic software and electrical engineering concepts
- Thermal analysis and fluid dynamics, particularly for heat exchangers
- MS Mechanical Engineering or equivalent preferred
- DoD, ITAR, NIST experienced
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have:
- Self-starter with a track record of delivering above and beyond expectations who can recognize when and where to get help as needed.
- A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally as needed
- Solid problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
- Proven ability to handle more than one project simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.
PERKS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
- Use the best design tools for work including custom workstations with triple monitor setups featuring 27” IPS LCD’s.
- Increase your knowledge with paid ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions.
- Flexible schedule
- Onsite meals, snacks, ping pong, and foosball
- Competitive benefits, matching 401k
- Tuition reimbursement
- Dependent scholarship programs
EaglePicher's R&D site in California provides agile, rapid prototyping and proven turnkey solutions for lithium ion battery management, pack integration, safety and power conversion technology. As a turnkey integrator, we source the best cells from around the world and package them in enclosures with our management electronics. No project is too small or too large — we build energy storage systems that range in size from two cells up to thousands of cells. EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, and oil & gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States.
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States. Battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions. EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in Joplin, MO. and is ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.