Principal Mechanical Engineer
Are you passionate about your work and want to make a hands on difference? Come build cutting edge hybrid lithium ion battery systems that are being used to power the next generation of spacecraft, jets, and ships; WE ARE GROWING. To apply you must have a Bachelors or Masters Degree or equivalent experience in electro-mechanical systems or robotics/mechatronics and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a Principal Mechanical Engineer, you will join our Product Development team and be a key contributor in hands on design and prototyping of lithium ion battery systems used for lasers, thrust vectoring, robotics, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, General Electric, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world.
Your core responsibilities will include hands on CAD design and prototype fabrication, development of supporting automated manufacturing and test equipment, technical project management, review of designs and mentoring fellow engineers. You will be responsible for conceptual design, shock/vibe/thermal analysis, CAD modeling, drawings, and GD&T. Other key contributions will include first article and tooling/jig fabrication using mills/lathes/laser cutters and other power tools. Technical contributions will also include wire crimping, capturing and analyzing test data, requirements definition, build documentation, estimates, hands on verification and environmental testing.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 10+ years industry experienced with recent application of relevant skills in the past year.
- Fundamentals in forces, materials, mechanisms, etc.
- 3D CAD modeling, drawing, and best practices for Solidworks; GD&T proficiency.
- Observant, objective, and methodical with good visualization and estimation skills.
- Knowledgeable in parts fabrication/assembly, optimizing for manufacturability, cost, etc.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.
- Solid problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented.
- Proven ability to handle more than one project simultaneously.
- Strong analytical, numerical and reasoning skills.
- Basic electrical fundamental and wiring.
- DoD, ITAR, NIST experienced.
- Willing to 'chip-in' when needed.
- Ability to balance design rigor with schedule constraints, practical limitations and optimizations.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- MS Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Hands-on prototyping/precise fabrication/ assembly, including soldering.
- High voltage/high power testing and safety.
- Developing processes/tooling for pilot scale manufacturing.
- GMP, ISO, and AS-9100 quality system methods. Able to implement version control systems.
- Interdisciplinary background, familiar with basic software and electrical engineering concepts.
- Thermal analysis and fluid dynamics, particularly for heat exchangers.
- Consensus Builder
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PERKS
- Ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions.
- Onsite lunch, snacks, and drinks, ping pong, foosball, and basketball.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance.
- 10 paid holidays and 3 weeks of PTO
- Matching 401K
- Tuition reimbursement
- Dependent scholarship programs
IS IT A FIT?
Quickly apply by sending us your resume or LinkedIn profile using the apply/submit link on this page.
Lithiumstart, located in the San Francisco Bay Area, is a division of EaglePicher Technologies LLC. Headquartered in St. Louis, EaglePicher Technologies is a leading producer of batteries and has been serving mission critical aerospace, defense, and medical battery markets for over 75 years. EaglePicher's batteries are a key enabler of the US space program, including providing the emergency power that successfully brought the Apollo 13 crew home. Today EaglePicher batteries power the International Space Station, Mars Rovers, commercial jets, helicopters, and lifesaving medical implants. Based in San Francisco, Lithiumstart was acquired by EaglePicher in February 2017 and serves as the company’s rapid prototyping R&D center with specialties in embedded software, electronics, and robotics.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.