Senior Power Electronics Engineer
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a Senior Power Electronics Engineer with Lithiumstart, a Division of EaglePicher Technologies, you will join our Research and Development team as a key contributor in hands on design and prototyping of lithium ion battery systems used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world. To apply you must have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Engineering or equivalent related experience and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
You will be responsible for the design of power electronics and battery management systems. Designs will typically require a high level of creativity and intuition. Your designs must maximize performance while ensuring the safety of surrounding systems and personnel.
- Independently design and manufacture multi-kilowatt, high-voltage power supplies used in pulsed-power battery applications
- Develop new power architectures to meet requirements for power density, efficiency, thermal performance, etc.
- Run circuit simulations, perform PCB design and layout, and conduct engineering tests
- Make design decisions on power capability, semiconductor selection, safety, reliability, regulatory compliance, manufacturability, etc.
- Design control architectures and implement them in hardware and firmware
- Proactively develop and track requirements/schedule and provide regular updates
- Drive risk management of power supplies (FMEA, hazard analysis, mfg, supply-chain)
- Provide technical leadership while communicating/mentoring effectively in a dynamic multi-disciplinary team environment
- Develop validation/verification plans and acceptance testing protocols for power supplies
- Test power supplies for EMC, stability, life, environmental effects, stress, etc.
- Integrate power supply design with mechanical, software, and battery engineers
- Generate and release documents for designs, assembly, acceptance-testing, manufacturing etc.
- Assist other electrical engineers in designs and testing of analog and digital circuits
- Perform failure analysis on new and returned systems from the field
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- 6+ years in design of AC/DC and DC/DC converter topologies that includes flyback, buck, boost, buck-boost, half- and full-bridge, ZVS, multi-phase, etc.
- 5-10 years experience designing high power (kW and above), high-voltage (>100V) DC/DC power conversion
- Subject matter expert on tradeoffs of power MOSFET, IGBTs, SCRs, diodes and semiconductor technologies including GaN and SiC
- Great understanding of power and mechanical design tradeoffs between high-voltage, power, weight, space, environmental, safety, thermal, etc.
- Designed high-reliably power supplies from the ground-up used in demanding applications
- Extensive implementation experience of thermal management for high-power semiconductors
- Experience with control systems, analog compensation, PID, firmware control, etc. used in power supply circuitry
- Strong experience in complex system integrations
- Experience dealing with revisions to requirements and schedule in a dynamic environment
- Experience working with CAN, RS232, RS485, Ethernet bus communication and I2C, SPI, UART embedded protocols
- Good understanding of testing EMI and mitigation techniques for EMC
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Worked in AS-9100, ISO-9001, DoD, MIL-STD related regulatory environments
- Implementing MCU and/or FPGA firmware for power applications
- Startup experience is helpful
- Hands-on, cable assembly, wiring crimping, machine shop experience
- Understanding of different battery cell electrochemistry and the electronics that go into a battery management system
ENVIRONMENT AND BENEFITS
- Use the best design tools for work including custom CAD workstations with SpacePilot Pro 3D mice, FirePro GPU’s, and 27" IPS LCD displays
- Ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions
- Onsite meals, snacks, ping pong, basketball and foosball
- Competitive benefits, matching 401k and Tuition reimbursement
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States.
EaglePicher Lithiumstart, located in San Francisco, provides agile rapid prototyping and proven turnkey solutions for lithium ion battery management, pack integration, safety and power conversion technology. Lithiumstart serves as EaglePicher’s R&D Electronics Center of Excellence (COE), and its highly complementary technologies are used across EaglePicher's broad suite of existing products, providing additional capabilities and customer value add. As a turnkey integrator, we source the best cells from around the world and package them in enclosures with management electronics. No project is too small or too large for Lithiumstart - we build energy storage systems that range in size from two cells up to tens of thousands of cells.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.