Operations Manager, R&D
ABOUT THE POSITION
As the Operations Manager, you will oversee and develop the team, systems and equipment/facilities to turn engineering prototypes into deliverable hardware. You will work closely with the Director of Engineering to ensure the smooth transition of development programs into low rate production and beyond. You will also provide the engineering design team with the technician staff, equipment, and facilities to safely and efficiently develop new products while overseeing general operations and maintenance. To apply you must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent experience in engineering and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
Your core responsibilities will be to ensure customer success by facilitating the on-time and on budget shipment of world-class products, driving build readiness and continuous process improvement. You will develop and lead a team of Manufacturing Engineers and Technicians to get the job done in a fast paced, low volume, high product complexity environment. Additionally you will be accountable for prototype and small run production budgeting, including staffing and resource planning to meet schedule demands. You will also develop infrastructure and hire as required to support Facility Engineering, Supply Chain, and EH&S.
Working in concert with the engineering leadership, you will be responsible for integrating the efforts of material management and shop/lab operations with those of engineering to drive build readiness, complete prototype builds and ultimately introduction of new products. You will also provide a link from the R&D team to the manufacturing sites for factory transfer builds and product issues. An ideal candidate will have experience in both high-volume and small product concept builds, and be able to work in ambiguous environments with a strong willingness to collaborate and optimize to business objectives.
Other responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Prototyping/Production Management: Prioritizing shop workload, production build tracking and status.
- Capability and training programs: Monitoring skill needs and capacity in shop to ensure workload is adequately covered, manage training strategy between technicians and engineers.
- Capital Improvements Planning: Managing short and long term capital improvement projects, including equipment and facilities from inception to completion (project proposals, budgeting, project and vendor management, etc)
- General Scope: Capex tracking, tool/equipment procurement, EHS contact and training, SDS and chemicals management, Inventory, etc.
BASIC ROLE REQUIREMENTS
- Technical leadership experience in assembling complex electromechanical systems
- Intuitive grasp of fundamentals including basic circuits, thermal and mechanical engineering
- Proficient in process driven and analytical approaches to problem-solving (Six Sigma, FMEA, etc).
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills
- Strong problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
- Operations leadership and team building
- Capital expenditure planning and budget management experience
- Knowledge of DFX, Final Assembly and Test processes
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a technical discipline
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
PRIORITY CANDIDATES: EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 6+ years work experience in new product development, program management, operations management, and/or related disciplines in an electromechanical product environment
- Supplier management and quality systems exposure
- EH&S program development
- Previous work in a startup environment
- Knowledge of battery assembly techniques (including Laser Welding) strongly desired.
- Experience with battery management systems, high voltage/high power testing highly desirable
- Knowledge of industrial robotics, computer vision, and automated manufacturing desired.
ENVIRONMENT AND BENEFITS
- Flexible schedule
- Ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions
- Onsite meals, snacks, ping pong, and foosball
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision benefits
- Generous PTO Plan
- Life, AD&D
- Matching 401k w/immediate vesting
- Tuition reimbursement
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. We provide the most experience and the broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States.
EaglePicher’s Lithiumstart Division, centrally located in the San Francisco Bay Area, provides agile rapid prototyping and proven turnkey solutions for lithium ion battery systems, pack integration, safety, battery management and power conversion technology. Lithiumstart serves as EaglePicher’s R&D Electronics Center of Excellence (COE), and its highly complementary technologies are used across EaglePicher's broad suite of existing products, providing additional capabilities and customer value add. As a turnkey integrator, we source the best cells from around the world and package them in enclosures with management electronics. No project is too small or too large- we build energy storage systems that range in size from two cells up to tens of thousands of cells.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.