Are you passionate about your work and want to make a hands on difference? We are seeking an engaged Mechanical Engineer that enjoys hands-on engineering, prototyping, and has some background, or passion, in power management. Come build cutting edge hybrid lithium ion battery systems that are being used to power the next generation of spacecraft, jets, and ships.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a Mechanical Engineer responsible for full cycle prototyping, you will join the R&D team and be a key contributor in creating ultra-high power energy storage system PCB controllers in lithium ion battery systems used for lasers, thrust vectoring, robotics, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, General Electric, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world. To apply you must have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience in complex system based products, be interested in battery management systems, and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Core responsibilities will include hands on CAD design and prototype fabrication, development of supporting automated manufacturing and test equipment, technical project management, review of designs and mentoring fellow engineers. You will be responsible for conceptual design, shock/vibe/thermal analysis, CAD modeling, drawings, and GD&T. Other key contributions will include first article and tooling/jig fabrication using mills/lathes/laser cutters and other power tools. Technical contributions will also include wire crimping, capturing and analyzing test data, requirements definition, build documentation, estimates, hands on verification and environmental testing.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent, MS preferred
- 5+ years industry experienced with recent application of relevant skills in the past year
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Fundamentals in forces, materials, mechanisms, etc.
- 3D CAD modeling, drawing, and best practices for Solidworks; GD&T proficiency
- Observant, objective, and methodical with good visualization and estimation skills
- Knowledgeable in parts fabrication/assembly, optimizing for manufacturability, cost, etc.
- Heavily experienced in mechanical integration with power or battery management background
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills
- Solid problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
- Proven ability to handle more than one project simultaneously
- Strong analytical, numerical and reasoning skills
- Basic electrical fundamental and wiring
- Willing to 'chip-in' when needed
- Interdisciplinary background, familiar with basic software and electrical engineering concepts
- GMP, ISO, and AS-9100 quality system methods. Able to implement or maintain version control systems helpful
- Hands-on prototyping/precise fabrication/ assembly, including soldering highly helpful
- High voltage/high power testing and safety helpful
- Ability to balance design rigor with schedule constraints, practical limitations and optimizations
- Thermal analysis and fluid dynamics, particularly for heat exchangers, helpful
- DoD, ITAR, NIST experience helpful
ENVIRONMENT AND BENEFITS
- Our standard stack includes Solidworks, C on STM32 and PIC32, Altium Designer, Python, Git, and Windows/Linux
- Use the best design tools for work including custom CAD workstations with SpacePilot Pro 3D mice, and 27" IPS LCD’s
- Ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions
- Onsite meals, snacks, ping pong, and foosball
- Competitive benefits, matching 401k and Tuition reimbursement
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States.
EaglePicher Lithiumstart, located in San Francisco, provides agile rapid prototyping and proven turnkey solutions for lithium ion battery management, pack integration, safety and power conversion technology. Lithiumstart serves as EaglePicher’s R&D Electronics Center of Excellence (COE), and its highly complementary technologies are used across EaglePicher's broad suite of existing products, providing additional capabilities and customer value add. As a turnkey integrator, we source the best cells from around the world and package them in enclosures with management electronics. No project is too small or too large for Lithiumstart - we build energy storage systems that range in size from two cells up to tens of thousands of cells.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.