Manager - Research & Development (Battery Development)
Eagle Picher is looking for an accomplished, hands-on
About the Position:
The primary purpose of this position is to lead and guide all aspects of the design, development, qualification and scale-up for new battery development programs for Eagle Picher Medical Power. You will be a key player in the product development team, working closely with our research, manufacturing engineering, product engineering and manufacturing engineering staff at multiple locations to drive and execute new projects to completion. If you are a lithium battery expert, are creative, passionate, self-motivated who enjoys working on challenging projects and like working collaboratively with others to deliver superior products, this is the opportunity for you.
Your core responsibilities will be to: Requirements:
To succeed in this position, you must:
· Lead, manage and drive to completion, all cell design and development activities (primary and rechargeable) for new and existing products. Meet performance, timeline and cost targets
· Lead and Manage a distributed team of Scientists and Engineers to create a cohesive, collaborative and powerful product development team to seamlessly transition products to manufacturing.
· Be accountable for ensuring design for manufacturability and scale-up, while working closely with manufacturing and product engineering teams. Work with external partners/suppliers to enable the adoption of the appropriate materials or technologies in order to bring the most value to EP and our customers without compromising robustness or quality.
· Build relationships, work closely with and support all appropriate functions within the company to help grow the Medical business
· Lead, guide and mentor junior staff (local and at our Joplin site) in order to improve EP’s processes and capabilities to become world class
· Be up-to-date with the state of the art for battery materials, technologies and processes and help raise the bar internally to be the best at what we do at a competitive price for our customers
· Have a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or Materials Science with at least 15 years of experience developing lithium batteries, or an advanced degree in the same fields with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience
· Significant experience in a Research, Product Development and Process Development environment developing and manufacturing batteries
· Strong background in electrochemistry and significant experience working on electrode materials, electrolytes, cell design, electrode processing, cell performance and safety.
· Good understanding of the interaction between chemistry, materials and processes and their impact on product performance and safety
· Experience with stage-gate processes, strong problem solving skills, root cause analysis,
· A successful track record of managing people, leading and managing projects and delivering superior results
· Demonstrated leadership and data-based decision making skills
· Demonstrated ability to build relationships across an organization and work collaboratively for the success of the business
· U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have:
· Medical device industry experience and familiarity with ISO 13485 and process validations is highly desirable
· Motivated, passionate, self-starter with a track record of delivering above and beyond expectations who can recognize when and where to get help as needed.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Training, experience and capability in statistical analysis, process control
· A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed
· Willingness and ability to travel at least 25% of the time or as needed
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 11387