Electrical Engineer - R&D
- Job ID
- # of Openings
At EaglePicher Technologies, LLC we are driving the electrification of defense, aviation and space. We provide the broadest number of battery systems available in the world for the most demanding applications. We provide leading edge products that make drones fly higher, undersea vessels run longer, and aircraft fly farther and operate more safely. Our battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions.
Our employees are passionate, dedicated and empowered to realize this vision. We strive for the right mix of people with diverse backgrounds personalities and perspectives, and to ensure this works, we create an inclusive work environment that places a premium on communication and collaboration. At EaglePicher, we’ll give you the opportunity to harness all that’s within you with access to the latest tools, information and training.
EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in St. Louis, MO. with locations in Joplin, MO and East Greenwich, RI. We are ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
As an Electronics Engineer with EaglePicher Technologies you will join our Research and Development team as a key contributor in hands on design and prototyping of Lithium-Ion battery power systems used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. You will perform a diverse mix of hardware tasks related to the design, development, test, qualification and production support of electronic assemblies used to manage the charge and discharge of Lithium-Ion Batteries. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world. To apply you must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
What can EaglePicher Technologies do for you?
- Directly impact the development of the most differentiated, disruptive and value-added battery management system technologies in the industry
- Come and grow with a company that is rapidly expanding into new solution spaces surrounding lithium-ion and other novel battery chemistry system solutions
- Collaborate with a word-class team on leading-edge innovation
- You will have the opportunity to gain broad experience working on a wide range of high-performance products across multiple teams and key customers
- Engage in an environment where teams embrace and celebrate inclusion and diversity
What can you do for EaglePicher Technologies?
You will be responsible for the design of power electronics and battery management systems. Designs will typically require a high level of creativity and intuition. Your designs must maximize performance while ensuring the safety of surrounding systems and personnel.
- Perform analog and digital electrical hardware design and design analysis tasks for:
- Analog signal conditioning and A/D conversion of various physical parameters such as DC Voltage, Current, Temperature and Time.
- Various DC-DC converter topologies for use in battery charging applications.
- Control of high current conduction paths from tens to hundreds of amperes for both battery charge and battery discharge.
- Parts selection, screening and cost estimation in a military / aerospace environment where stringent DSCC Military & Space rated
- component standards are a requirement.
- Battery cell and module level energy balancing circuitry
- Digital communications circuitry for interfacing with internal and external hardware
- Develop bench and automated test fixtures for use during development and production test of battery management electronics.
- Perform electrical and electro-thermal simulations using LTspice, PSpice, ANSYS, Matlab, and/or other software
- Make design decisions on power capability, semiconductor selection, safety, reliability, regulatory compliance, manufacturability, etc.
- Plan, conduct, and document engineering tests on electronics and other electrical hardware
What you need for success:
- BS or MS Electrical Engineering Degree with a technical background in product development as it relates to battery electrical systems
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident required due to contractual requirements
- Experience in A/D conversion in relation to voltage and temperature monitoring for battery management systems.
- Experience performing electronic circuit design, PCB layout, BOM management, and configuration management within Altium PCB
- Designer and SVN or other configuration management software
- Demonstrable skills in reading and understanding firmware written in C for various types of micro-controllers while using an Integrated Development Environment.
- Demonstrable ability and experience with analyzing and debugging systems involving hardware and firmware interactions.
- Experience dealing with revisions to requirements and schedule in a dynamic environment
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- AS-9100, ISO-9001, DoD, MIL-STD related regulatory environments
- Experience with DO-178 and/or DO-254 design flows
- Hands-on electronics test equipment, wire and wire crimping, design-for test and bed of nails experience
- Multidisciplinary design experience either as an individual contributor or as part of a larger multidisciplinary team
- Strong understanding of different battery cell electrochemistry and the electronics that go into a battery management system
- This role may require additional duties and/or assignments as designated by management
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have / be:
- Self-starter with a track record of delivering above and beyond expectations.
- A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally as needed
- Solid problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
- Proven ability to handle more than one project simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.
PERKS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
Some of the great things about being an EaglePicher employee include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance;
- 10 paid holidays and PTO;
- Matching 401K;
- Tuition reimbursement;
- Dependent scholarship programs.
Job Reference #: 2076