Director of Engineering, R&D
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC, is searching for a Director of Engineering to join the R&D team at our Northern California Facility. As a hands-on leader that thrives in an agile design and rapid prototype environment, you are a key contributor in the design and prototyping of mission critical lithium ion battery systems and power products used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world. To apply you must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in electrical, mechanical or related discipline and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card holder.
As the Director of Engineering, you will be the engineering site leader to grow the engineering workforce while ensuring efficient execution of key programs. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and grow an efficient and high caliber staff of firmware, mechanical and electrical engineers.
- Lead the execution of key programs with a staff of Program Managers ensuring execution to key deliverables including product performance, cost and schedule targets.
- Collaborate with the business development teams to develop a roadmap for high power battery, BMS and power electronics systems.
- Guide the maturation of the product development process through implementation of design reviews, prototype milestones, detailed documentation and gate reviews.
- Support the technology and product transfers from the Burlingame R&D site to the EaglePicher manufacturing centers when they are ready.
- Develop technology proposals and costing for new battery and power electronics systems in the aerospace, space and defense markets.
- Provide oversight to hands on prototyping efforts ensuring the utmost attention to quality and safety in a shop environment.
- Ensure full system testing, including high power and safety critical tests, are performed in accordance with best engineering principles through coordination between engineers and the technician staff.
- Forecast resource demands and revenue to drive key operational decisions including staffing increases and resource shifting across programs.
- Collaborate across EaglePicher R&D centers to streamline technology development, resource allocation, and improve overall speed and efficiency of development.
- Support key customers by acting as a point of escalation, attending key customer meetings, and supporting onsite visits.
- Experience managing engineering or technical teams of >5 people
- Experience in transformational change enabling organizational growth
- Background with new product development and rapid prototyping fundamentals in a leadership capacity
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in electrical, mechanical or related discipline
- Intuitive grasp of fundamentals including basic circuits, thermal and mechanical engineering
- Solid interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills
- Strong problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 8+ years relevant experience
- Program Management experience with a focus on schedule, budget and project execution
- Battery management systems, multi-cell battery pack design, high voltage/high power testing and safety
- Knowledge of laser welding, machining fundamentals and battery module assembly.
- Organizational development and team building
- Experience managing R&D in an ISO 9001 environment including configuration control