Chemical Process Development Technician
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
At EaglePicher Technologies, LLC we are driving the electrification of defense, aviation and space. We provide the broadest number of battery systems available in the world for the most demanding applications. We provide leading edge products that make drones fly higher, undersea vessels run longer, and aircraft fly farther and operate more safely. Our battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions.
Our employees are passionate, dedicated and empowered to realize this vision. We strive for the right mix of people with diverse backgrounds personalities and perspectives, and to ensure this works, we create an inclusive work environment that places a premium on communication and collaboration. At EaglePicher, we’ll give you the opportunity to harness all that’s within you with access to the latest tools, information and training.
EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in St. Louis, MO. with locations in Joplin, MO and East Greenwich, RI. We are ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
As a Chemical Process Development Technician with EaglePicher Technologies you will join our Research and Development team in hands on design, prototyping and commercialization of Lithium-Ion cells and battery power systems used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. A successful candidate will have experience in chemistry and manufacturing processes. Experience with R&D and product development would be preferred. The Chemical Process Development Technician will support the R&D group in all phases of battery development activities. This will encompass activities in several battery systems that include but are not limited to: cell and battery pack design concept, materials research and refinement, equipment research and refinement. This role will require the use of analytical instrumentation in a laboratory environment and the use of engineering tools such as measurement devices, microscopes, viscosity meters, and others as directed.
The successful candidate will show the initiative to quickly learn the technology and manufacturing methods. The Chemical Process Development Technician must be schedule-driven and be able to operate efficiently on their own in a dynamic environment to quickly resolve issues. This position will coordinate multiple functions to deliver these products to a wide variety of commercial and military customers such NASA, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Boeing General Electric and many others. This position requires interaction with internal and external customers at all levels of system design/development, components, quality engineering. To apply you must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident.
About the Position:
The primary purpose of this position is for you to assume the Chemical Process Development Technician Engineer role to support the R&D group for process design, development and qualification of Lithium-ion batteries for Eagle Picher Defense. You will be a key player in the R&D team, working closely with our research scientists, product engineering and quality staff to help drive and execute new projects to completion and support existing products.
Your core responsibilities will be to:
- Work within the R&D group and with the production group to bring new products into production. This will require the development of both chemical (e.g. mixing/coating) and mechanical (e.g. calendering/welding) process.
- Development process specifications and limits for existing and new processes.
- Working under the direction and supervision of engineers or scientists, you will be able to:
- Perform material and component sub-assembly tests to support new cell and battery pack designs.
- Develop handling and processing methods for new materials used in R&D or production of cells.
- Complete and submit materials and equipment requisitions.
- Assist with equipment installation and operation.
- Assembly and testing of engineering development cell or battery units including analysis and destructive physical analysis.
- Perform various duties in an analytical lab environment including quality control analyses in incoming materials and assisting in process development and failure root cause analysis.
- Work with engineering tools such as measurement devices, microscopes, viscosity meters, moisture analyzers and others as directed.
- Perform all duties in a safe and efficient manner.
- Working with the design team to widen the process window and improve the product capability is expected
To succeed in this position, you must:
- High school diploma or equivalent; Associates Degree with 3+ years of relevant training and experience
- US. Citizen or Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder)
- Experience in a laboratory or manufacturing environment
- Strong problem solving and root cause analysis skills
- Experience in process design, development, optimization, and test methodologies
- Strong verbal, written & presentation communications skills
- Detail oriented
- Basic computer skills (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Able to follow schedules, work instructions, and standard operating procedures
- Strong communication skills: able to communicate well and train others as needed
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Strong team player; able to interface with a variety of groups
- Excellent record of attendance and reliability
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have:
- Defense or Aerospace industry experience and familiarity with ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100D certifications is highly desirable.
- Motivated, passionate, self-starter with a track record of delivering above and beyond expectations.
- Experience with Engineering Resource Planning (ERP) and Document Control systems.
- Experience with batteries or energy storage systems a plus
- A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed
- Solid problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
- Proven ability to handle more than one project simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal, communication, technical writing, and presentation skills.
BENEFITS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
Some of the great things about being an EaglePicher employee include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance;
- 10 paid holidays and PTO;
- Matching 401K;
- Tuition reimbursement;
- Dependent scholarship programs.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.